April 18, 2010

I'd adopt him if I could


Beautiful markings and a gorgeous expression on this pup. He's about 6 months old, and said to be friendly with people and other dogs. Whoever cut off his ears should be arrested. [Screen grab from Pet Harbor.] See below for adoption info.

Dunno what human impulse leads us to rush past the plain, friendly, no-drama dogs on our way to scoop up the pup with a sad story. The dog on the left, for example, was five years old, active, friendly with people and other dogs, an owner turn-in [divorce, "I'm moving and can't take him"], and was reportedly a purebred Lab. Past tense. Absolutely no individual or group locally or from a moderately extensive social network was interested in adopting/fostering/rescuing him. [That's "social network" as in, "his widget was on my blog forever"/"a friend with loads of contacts posted his picture on Facebook and begged people to save him"/"we have experience flying rescue dogs across the country."]

I wasn't interested in fostering or adopting him, either. He was a nice, generic dog, and now he's gone. Too ordinary? Not "rescue-y"-looking enough? As I say, I dunno.

But back to that pit bull pup with the beautiful eyes and choppy ears: I've posted an appeal on Facebook and am now posting one here. Save this dog! I wish I had room for him [and the time, and the money]. When I called Devore this morning, he was still available, and will be, the lady said, until the 21st. Here's his info:
For more information about this animal, call:
San Bernardino County - Devore Shelter at (909) 887-8055
Ask for information about animal ID number A454508

1 comment:

Rob said...

Ack! Hurry up and find a home for him! Riverside and San Bernardino Counties are among the highest-kill-percentage shelters in the state. 51% of the dogs admitted in San Bernardino County (as of 2008, PDF) were euphemized. That's one of the highest percentages in the state among high-intake animal control systems (20,000 or more animals).