October 5, 2008

Art for October




My favorite month: crisp air, harvest time, fall color, the nights before the Days of the Dead. The oil painting above is by Heiko Müller:

My art comes from an urge to explore. I like the countryside. I like a good view. And once I’m face to face with a lovely scenery, I feel immediately tempted to find out what it’s concealing. The dark goings-on behind the façade of nature, you might say, or the hidden machinations of the animal kingdom.

To imagine and express this, I usually tap the lines linking religious icon art, renaissance painting and comic culture. I am particularly thrilled by the kind of spiritual terror you find expressed in the paintings of the old Flemish masters, and I’m trying to find out what happens when you apply that mood to the serene and harmless world of rural folk art.
You've been warned. Link. [He's also on Flickr.]

The indie comic book 5 by Becky Cloonan, Gabriel Bá, Fábio Moon, Rafael Grampá and Vasilis Lolos won a prestigious Will Eisner Award this year in the Best Anthology category. [The Eisners are the Oscars of the comic book industry, but of course you knew that.] The graphic below is the cover of 5. Click for big, and click here for even bigger.



Finally, the rabbit hole of linkage led me to Adam Swinbourne's print of an extraterrestrial Boston Terrier:


I love Martian Dog, and more to the point, I can afford him. This print costs less than a bale of hay [weeps]. I shall order now, while PayPal still accepts U.S. dollars.

No comments: