December 12, 2008

Tonantzín, called Guadalupe

Shrine in Tamaulipas, Mexico, by Ilhuicamina on Flickr.

This year marks the 477th anniversary of the appearances of Nuestra Dulce Señora Santa María de Guadalupe del Tepeyac, Reina de México y Emperatriz de las Américas. December 12, her feast day, is also the day I was born. Actual birthday conversation from many years ago:

Student: "Hey, today's my mom's birthday, too."

Teacher: "And it's one of the most important religious holidays in Latin America."

Student: "Wow, I didn't know they even knew my mom!"


No trip north for me this year. I'm staying close to home and keeping a special eye on my oldest dog. Rain and snow expected this weekend and the week to come, yay.

Two more photos of La Morenita:

Catedral de Autlan de Navarro, Jalisco, Mexico. Photograph by M@beLita, on Flickr.


Photographer Infinitas Gracias writes: "I took this picture in Patzcuaro, Mexico a few years ago. The great Virgin of Guadalupe is watching this dozy dog like she watches all her children." Another Flickr photo.

No comments: