June 28, 2009

Weekend ephemera


The pink hearts and the orange hearts are the same color. Seriously: the exact same color. Optical illusion by Akiyoshi Kitaoka - see the uncropped version and more color illusions here. [Click for bigger.]

The optical illusion above is from Akiyoshi Kitaoka’s awesome website, via COULORlovers. I embiggened the image on my own 'puter with GIMP to help wrap my brain around the whole thing - very cool.

*************

This is a nice kitchen, but what I love are these latches:



The cupboards up at the cabin have old latches like these, and they are the main reason nothing fell and broke during the 6.4 shaker of '92. [OK, the earthquake retrofit also helped.] "Chimney Falls," the valley was nicknamed in the papers after that little episode.

*************

Hot Water: Take That Final Gas Notice! What a shame I didn't see this last month, before I spent the big bucks on a new water heater:



Just one example of money-saving ingenuity from There, I Fixed It. H/T: Make Online.

*************

Found poetry: check out this paragraph from a NY Times article on TMZ's biggest scoop.
For more than an hour, TMZ was essentially the only outlet claiming that Mr. Jackson was dead. Television and newspaper journalists read the TMZ report but largely held off on repeating it, for fear of making a mistake. Still, the bulletin traversed the Web with remarkable speed, creating a stark divide: on the Internet Mr. Jackson was dead, and on TV he was still alive.
And as it should have been published:
Still, the bulletin traversed the Web
With remarkable speed, creating a stark divide:
On the Internet Mr. Jackson was dead,
And on TV he was still alive.
A golf clap for Brian Stelter, poet/journalist.

************

Note found in an empty classroom:
Am I ugly

I answered that question already on myspace

I don't remember what you said

OMG!!
Well I said that you were alright.

I am.
Kids these days ;~)

No comments: