February 2, 2009

Pit bull... er, "pit bull" attacks


"The captured dog was a male pit bull." And I'm Vladimir Putin. Screen grab from The Indy Channel.

Speaking of regional differences: Selma over at Caveat has a nice collection of "pit bull" photos. If it has lop ears, four feet and a short coat... But what do I know? Maybe those animals are subspecies of pit bull. Pitbull americanus floridensis. P. a. californicus. As opposed to, I dunno, Canis lupus familiaris.

I particularly remember the dogs below, from a tragic case in Virginia. [The parents were charged with murder.] I commented on PBF:
There were no witnesses -- parents were upstairs. In their condemned home [sigh].

The doctor quoted in the article trots out the old bite-strength myth: "[Pit bulls are] definitely one of the stronger breeds their bite strength is probably the strongest; six to seven times that of a German Shepard." [It's shepherd, for crying out loud! You'd think a newsroom would have SpellCheck.] Strange to read the doctor's words, and then look at the small, malnourished animals:


The breed-bashers and breed-banners can't quite define exactly what a pit bull is, but they by God know one when they see it. And if this reminds you just a wee bit of the One-Drop Rule, well, you're not alone.


Related posts:
Dog bites and bite force
Bite force links from PubMed
“Dangerous breeds,” dog bite statistics, and the Merritt Clifton report

2 comments:

Caveat said...

Heh.

This is a good game, isn't it?

What kills me is that every dog these people identify looks completely different from every other dog they've said is a 'pit bull'.

I thought those snappy breed standards were supposed to eliminate mistakes because they are so, like, sciency and exact and stuff?

I'll be adding to my collection from now on and when I go through the hundreds of news articles I've pdf'd, I'm sure I'll find more.

One can certainly see why they rarely run pictures of the dogs.

Anonymous said...

OK FIRST OF ALL NOT ALLL PIT BULLS ARE BAD I HAVE ON THAT IS FULL BLOODED AND SHE LOVES PEOPLE SHE IS THE HAPPYEST DOG AND PIT BULLS AREN`T EVEN THE NUMBER ONE BITTERS